October Small Business Marketing Ideas
Halloween isn’t the only way to market your local business in October. Here’s our guide to local marketing ideas for October 2021.
Here are some of the days you can use for marketing in October.
Halloween (Oct. 31) - Some ways you can use Halloween in your marketing include:
- Decorating your store, website, and social media pages.
- Hosting a candy counting contest to get email addresses and give away a prize, coupon, or discount.
- Dressing up in a costume that won’t offend or scare customers.
- Hosting a costume contest, taking pictures, and sharing them on your blog and social media. Visitors can vote for their favorite, the winner gets a prize, and you can feature them in your marketing.
- Participating in local events and interacting with people to learn how you can serve them and build your reputation.
Get to Know Your Customers Day (Oct.21) - Engage with people and get feedback through surveys and polls, ask about items or services people would like you to offer, and repost user-generated content.
National Savings Day (Oct. 12) - Write a blog post on how to save money, show how much money your customers save versus competitors, share helpful information or resources, or run a contest.
Here are some other ways to market in October.
- October 1: Black Dog Day, Hair Day, Fire Pup Day, Homemade Cookies Day, Manufacturing Day, Body Language Day, World Vegetarian Day, World Smile Day
- October 2: Produce Misting Day, Custodial Worker’s Recognition Day, Name Your Car Day, Fried Scallops Day
- October 3: Techies Day, Boyfriend Day, GOE Day
- October 4: Cinnamon Bun Day, Taco Day, Golf Lover’s Day, Vodka Day, Consignment Day, Child Health Day
- October 5: Get Funky Day, Rhode Island Day, Do Something Nice Day, Apple Betty Day, Eat Fruit At Work Day
- October 6: Coaches Day, Orange Wine Day, Plus Size Appreciation Day, Mad Hatter Day, German-American Day, Noodle Day, Walk to School Day, Pumpkin Seed Day, Coffee with a Cop Day
- October 7: Chocolate Covered Pretzel Day, LED Light Day, Frappe Day, Inner Beauty Day, Trigeminal Neuralgia Awareness Day
- October 8: Fluffernutter Day, Hero Day, Pierogi Day, Touch Tag Day
- October 9: Leif Erikson Day, Pro-Life Cupcake Day, Moldy Cheese Day, Chess Day, Costume Swap Day, Motorcycle Ride Day, I Love Yarn Day
- October 10: Angel Food Cake Day, Handbag Day, Metric Day, Mental Health Day, Clergy/Pastor/Ministry Appreciation Day, Cake Decorating Day
- October 11: International Day of the Girl Child, Sausage Pizza Day, Coming Out Day, General Pulaski Memorial Day, Online Bank Day, Kick Butt Day, Native American Day, Columbus Day
- October 12: Vermont Day, Freethought Day, Farmer’s Day, Gumbo Day
- October 13: Train Your Brain Day, Yorkshire Pudding Day, Navy Birthday, Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day, No Bra Day, Curves Day, Emergency Nurse’s Day, Bring Your Teddy Bear to Work/School Day, Stop Bullying Day, Fossil Day, Take Your Parents To Lunch Day
- October 14: Dessert Day, Be Bald and Be Free Day
- October 15: Shawarma Day, Aesthetician Day, Cheese Curd Day, I Love Lucy Day, Grouch Day, Latino AIDS Awareness Day, Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day, White Cane Safety Day, Boss’s Day
- October 16: Sports Day, Liqueur Day, Dictionary Day, Global Cat Day, Department Store Day, Sweetest Day
- October 17: Edge Day, Mulligan Day, Pasta Day, Black Poetry Day
- October 18: Exascale Day, International Legging Day, Chocolate Cupcake Day, No Beard Day, Clean Your Virtual Desktop Day
- October 19: Kentucky Day, Seafood Bisque Day, LGBT Center Awareness Day, Pro-Life Day of Silent Solidarity, Pharmacy Technician Day
- October 20: Chicken and Waffles Day, Youth Confidence Day, Brandied Fruit Day, BRA Day USA, Hagfish Day, Support Your Local Chamber of Commerce, Medical Assistants Recognition Day
- October 21: Witch Hazel Day, Pumpkin Cheesecake Day, Reptile Awareness Day, Get Smart About Credit Day
- October 22: Make a Dog’s Day, Nut Day, Color Day
- October 23: Boston Cream Pie Day, Mole Day, TV Talk Show Host Day, Swallows Depart from San Juan Capistrano Day, iPod Day, Make A Difference Day
- October 24: Food Day, Bologna Day, United Nations Day, Mother-in-Law Day
- October 25: Greasy Food Day, Sourest Day, Chucky: The Notorious Killer Doll Day
- October 26: Financial Crime Fighter Day, Tennessee Day, Day of the Deployed, Mule Day, Pumpkin Day, Mincemeat Day
- October 27: American Beer Day, Navy Day, Black Cat Day
- October 28: Internal Medicine Day, Chocolate Day, First Responders Day
- October 29: Cat Day, Oatmeal Day, Hermit Day, World Stroke Day, Pharmacy Buyer Day, Frankenstein Friday, Breadstick Day
- October 30: Speak Up For Service Day, Publicist Day, Candy Corn Day, Trick or Treat Day
- October 31: Doorbell Day, Caramel Apple Day, Knock-Knock Jokes Day, Magic Day, Girl Scout Founder’s Day
Other Marketing Ideas For October
October is Bullying Prevention, Domestic Violence Awareness, Breast Cancer Awareness, Energy Awareness, and Emotional Wellness Month. It’s also Business Women’s, and Customer Service Week. If none of those work, you can show off a fall product or service, send an October-themed newsletter, participate in a farmers market or pumpkin patch, or just open your doors to fresh Fall air and customers.
If you want to know more about local marketing you can read our article, What Is Local SEO? or just contact us.
Tags: cover-story, October marketing
[2020-03-11] Keeping The Lights On During Coronavirus Outbreak
[2020-12-19] COVID Safe Holidays Celebration Ideas
[2022-02-01] February Small Business Marketing Ideas
[2022-08-10] How We Built An Email List Of 12,000 Subscribers Within 12 Months
[2022-08-02] September Marketing Ideas For Small Businesses
[2022-08-01] Seven Tasks Small Businesses Should Outsource