Your website may be the first and only chance you get to impress potential clients so you need it to be the best that it can be. When it comes to designing your website you can either hire a professional web design company or you can do it yourself. There are advantages and disadvantages that come with either option and your decision depends on your needs, goals, budget, and timeframe. You’ll need to figure out what type of website you want, what features you need, how much time you have to work on it, what your skill/comfort level with web design is, and how much money you have to spend. Here are some reasons for and against hiring a professional and building your own website.
Professional Web Design Agency
A web design company creates a professional website and keeps it running smoothly so that you can focus on your business. Here are some pros and cons of hiring a one.
- Expertise - An agency will have a team with diverse expertise working on your project. That means you’re paying for collaboration between professional web developers, graphic designers, content writers, search engine optimization (SEO) experts, user experience specialists, digital marketing specialists, etc. The final product that an expert team can come up with together tends to be much more effective than what any one person could produce on their own.
- Features - A web design company will be able to include advanced features such as blogging, data tracking/analytics, SEO, photo galleries, security, appointments/calendar, lead collection, newsletter signup, downloadable content, videos, and live chat.
- Support - Many companies offer ongoing support to monitor for technical issues, track and analyze data, and make edits.
- Quality - Professional websites are more detailed, original, functional, and usually load faster and work better on mobile. Visitors will notice the difference.
- Choice - You’ll have to shop for an agency that does what you want and can meet your budget. They’re not all worth what they charge and the wrong one can waste your time and money.
- Cost - The price for a custom website built by professionals can get pricey. The cost will vary between agencies and the scope of your project.
- Time - Depending on its size and resources, an agency might not be able to give you their full, undivided attention if they’re working with multiple clients.
Do It Yourself (DIY)
Nobody knows your business like you do and it can be difficult to communicate exactly what you want. Producing content and developing a brand that speaks to your target audience and meets your vision may require you to do it yourself. Here are some pros and cons of building your own website.
- Cost - If you’re not looking for anything too complex or customized, using a DIY website builder is a good choice to keep costs down. Most have free basic plans and more advanced plans for a fee.
- Control - You total control over every choice and detail, and how your site looks and feels. If a web designer doesn’t give you what you have in mind you’ll have to go back to them for revisions until you’re satisfied.
- Revisions - Try different things to see what you like and don’t like whenever you want. Making updates on a professionally built site may be too complicated to do without the builder, which means waiting for them and paying a fee.
- Process - Many website builders provide templates so all you have to do is drag and drop images and input some text to create your site.
- Time - You can build a basic website quickly but advanced features, extensive content, etc., take longer. Consider what you want and what your time is worth before trying to do it yourself.
- Knowledge - Easy to use platforms and templates are great but you still need some skill. You’ll have to learn anything that you don’t know.
- Features - Advanced capabilities will depend on you taking the time to learn them. Also, unique customizations may not be possible on DIY platforms.
- Management - You’ll have to monitor your website for technical issues and keep track of analytical data to ensure performance and achieve your goals.
Whether you choose to hire a web design company or build your own website, you want an up-to-date website that showcases your business, attracts visitors, converts them into customers, and creates value for your business.
If you’re ready to take your website to the next level, Ellipsis Marketing can help. More information about our services is available here.